The first school at Wheelock, associated with a nearby mission, was constructed in 1833. In 1842, with the creation of the Choctaw National School System, began receiving Choctaw financial support and became an all-girls school. Even though this original building burned at the end of the Civil War, Choctaw Nation built a new Wheelock Academy in the 1880’s not far from its original location, and for the next seventy years, Wheelock Academy thrived as a learning environment for the girls and young women it supported until the school closed in 1955. Since that time, Wheelock Academy has been listed as a National Historic Landmark. The remaining buildings and on-site museum speak to the history and significance of the academy and the Choctaw Nation’s dedication to education.
1377 Wheelock Rd
Garvin, OK 74736