Fort Towson was established in 1824 to guard the southern boundary of the US and provide safe haven for the Choctaws arriving in Indian territory. The fort served as an access point for travelers bound for Texas including Sam Houston, Davy Crockett and Stephen F. Austin. Fort Towson also served as a dispersal point for Choctaws and Chickasaws as they arrived from the Trail of Tears. The fort was abandoned when the frontier moved west, but served as Confederate Headquarters for the forces operating in the area. In 1865, Confederate General Stand Watie surrendered his command near Fort Towson and was the last Confederate general to lay down his arms.
HC-63 Box 1580
Ft Towson, OK 74735