As the leaves start to change and the heat begins to cool the types of food that you indulge in change as well. With that in mind, we’ve put together a few of our favorite dishes from culinary hotspots in Choctaw Country.
Maamaw B’s Kitchen is a one-of-a-kind bakery in Heavener, Okla. specializing in cakes and desserts, and nothing says autumn is here like a fruit pie or cobbler! Whether it’s filled with apples, cranberries or any other kind of fruit, Maamaw B’s Kitchen offers an extra touch of sweetness to any dessert. Open Monday through Friday 6:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturdays from 6:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. offers a wide variety of baked goods from baked breads, cakes, cookies, pies and more!
Try this recipe at home!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 cups floor
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup apples
- 2 cups boiling water
- Cream 1 cup sugar and butter.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt and milk. Mix well and pour into baking pan.
- Pour the apple over batter and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Pour the boiling water over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes until golden brown.
- Can be served hot or cold.
At Sacred Grounds in Antlers, Okla. they use only fresh ground beans to make a wide array of delicious fall beverages from their smooth Morning Blend drip coffee to gourmet espresso drinks. You have the option of ordering a hot Latte or Cappuccino made with steamed milk and espresso. Fall flavor favorites include Mocha, Caramel, and Pumpkin Spice. Open Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. specializes in coffee, sandwiches, soups, and burgers.
Our favorite part of fall is warm, hearty and comforting chili, stew or soup. At CJ’s Café in Valliant, Okla. they have soup, chili and stew ranging from smooth and creamy to hearty and meaty, chicken noodle and more! Open Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturdays 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. offers a variety of breakfast, lunch and dinner for locals and travelers alike!
Kayterra Farms in Durant, Okla. has wonderful jams and delicious seasonal butters that are hand crafted in their kitchen. Kayterra Farms jams offers seasonal flavors from warm pecan pie, sassy strawberry jalapeño and more so there’s something for everyone! They are the perfect for spicing up a cheeseboard or a loaf of bread.
Try this recipe at home!
Blackberry Brie with Caramelized Pecans
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 round of brie
- 1/3 cup Kayterra Farms Blackberry Jam
- 1 tsp finely chopped jalapeño pepper
- Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Stir in pecans and sugar. Continue cooking until sugar is melted and nuts are caramelized.
- Immediately spread nuts onto aluminum foil and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Slice top off brie with knife and discard top.
- Place brie onto serving plate and microwave 30-45 seconds or until brie is slightly melted.
- Combine jam and jalapeño in bowl. Top warm brie with mixture. Sprinkle with nuts and
With Autumn fast approaching, now is the perfect time to indulge in delicious fall favorites. Here in Choctaw Country, we’ve got you covered from pies, soups, coffee and more! Hurry up and slow down, because as the leaves begin to change, so will your appetite!