Choctaw Country Destinations
by Amanda LaMora
As February approaches, there’s an increasing pressure to purchase jewelry and lavish gifts for Valentine’s Day. Not that there’s anything wrong with showering your significant other with gifts, but if you’re looking for a gift that will keep on giving, a romantic getaway is the perfect option.
A getaway offers the opportunity to reconnect. To discover unfamiliar surroundings together and share each new experience with one of your most treasured people. To create new memories, shared intimately like an inside joke and remembered brightly, like a sunshiny day amidst the dark winter months.
If you’re searching for a meaningful gift, one where you can create cozy winter memories with your loved one, consider the gift of a beautiful retreat in Choctaw Country. Here are our top five places where you can get away to your own little world, population: two.
1. Hochatown Cabins Forget everything you remember from childhood about what it was like to stay in a cabin. The cabins in Hochatown and the surrounding areas near Beavers Bend State Park are dripping in style and luxury. Think sleek and modern amenities, cozy fireplaces, wraparound porches with a private hot tub, your own fire pit and floor-to-ceiling windows to take in the incredible surroundings. There are hundreds from which to choose, but a few of our favorite options for rustic luxury are: Beavers Bend Luxury Cabin Rentals, Hidden Hills Cabins and Bear Mountain Lodging. Remember you enhance the romance with a visit to the nearby wineries, breweries and distilleries during your stay.
2. Talihina Nestled in the foothills of the Kiamichi mountains, the charming town of Talihina was made for old souls. Full of antique stores and romantic cafés against a backdrop of stunning scenery, staying here feels like you’ve transported into a Hallmark movie. If you really want to surround yourself in the architectural beauty of the past, book your getaway at Hootie Creek Guest House – a historic hotel whose original foundation dates back to 1906. Before you leave, make your way to the Talimena National Scenic Byway for must-see views of the surrounding countryside – you won’t want to miss it!
3. Robbers Cave Lodge The renovated Lodge at Robbers Cave State Park features 20 resort-style rooms amidst the majestic views of the Sans Bois mountains. Spend an evening under the large, timber-framed porticoes next to the roaring outdoor fireplace or enjoy the breathtaking views from the comfort of your private balcony – the opportunities for cozy romance are abundant. Nearby, the Belle Starr Lookout is available for weddings and events – just call the park office to ask about booking. If you just can’t make your getaway without your furry friend, look into the park’s 26 cabins for a pet-friendly option.
4. The Spa at Choctaw Casino & Resort–Durant If you really want to get away from it all, The Spa at Choctaw Casino & Resort – Durant is like stepping into another world. Book your stay in the Spa Tower, and you’ll find this world only steps outside your hotel door, where every sense is flooded with tranquility and the only order of business for the day is to relax. Book your stay Monday – Thursday to take advantage of monthly specials and couples’ packages, including hydrating bath soaks, cascading rain showers for two and luxurious side-by-side massages. The only appropriate way to cap off the day is with reservations for a romantic dinner at 1832 Steakhouse.
5. Carlton Landing There’s nothing like visiting a tourist attraction during the off-season to conjure that feeling of being miles away from anywhere. Carlton Landing fits the bill with a community of luxurious lakeside properties offering plenty of opportunity for quiet moments with your loved one. Enjoy handcrafted cocktails by the outdoor fireplace at The Meeting House or cozy up around the fireplace in your own backyard. Keep it casual with a slice of delicious wood-fired pizza at Mama Tig’s or dress up the evening with reservations for the Valentine’s Day Dinner.